Two weekly bin collections on Monday 6 April
During the coronavirus (COVID 19) pandemic, the council will introduce a simplified, two-weekly bin collection where recycling and general waste will be collected at the same time.
Please put out up to two bins on the day that you would normally put out your reycling (blue bin/bag).
This gives each household more collections.
However, the consequence is that, for the time being, recyclable materials will go into the general waste stream. This allows us to organise a schedule that will protect our staff and meet guidance on social distancing. This approach is being taken by a number of local authorities across Scotland during this pandemic.
“Please be assured, Argyll and Bute Council takes its environmental responsibilities very seriously and you can help. If you have the option to store recycling until we can resume this service, we would be grateful. Here are some tips for storing it safely:
- Make sure you wash out plastic bottles (especially milk bottles) and trays thoroughly;
- Squash plastic bottles and then put the lid back on;
- Stack trays the same size inside each other to save space;
- Flatten cardboard boxes and paper;
- If you can, crush your cans;
- Rinse and flatten Tetrapaks (juice cartons etc);
- Once your bin is full, please start storing the recycling in plastic bags, or inside large cardboard boxes, in a dry place.